Monday 22 January 2018

Every Inchie Monday -- India.

This week we are off to India. I think of India as a country full of colour, elephants the Taj Mahal. embroidery and street markets selling spices and materials. Ghana, Mother Teresa, curries and lots more.
When we went to Australia we spent five days in India on our way back to see some friends,. We kept the economy going by buying bedspreads, wall hangings, cushion covers and additions to my small box collection. I loved it, but hubby wasn't so keen. I would love to go again, as I now use far more embroidery techniques and silk fabrics than I did all those years ago. I would of course need an empty suitcase to cry it all home in. I didn't use wooden Indian blocks then, so they would fill another suitcase.
We also rode bare back on an elephant, and that I wouldn't do again. Hubby lost his balance and as we were both on together decided to cling on to me and take me with him. Luckily the guys handing the huge male elephant saw the problem and made the elephant kneel down. I didn't care that he had been in nine films, I was so pleased to get off. I was terrified.

For my card one I have used shrink plastic on the flag background, and the embroidery one has a silk background with a shisha mirror, some Kantha stitches, beads and sequins.



8 comments:

Heather said...

Such a tiny shisha mirror, not to mention the tiny stitches. I love the elephant too. You are more intrepid that I am and I admire your courage in riding an elephant bare back.

sally said...

A very adventurous trip by the sounds of things lol, I still have some of the embroidered textiles from my days in the emirates of which some are shisha and I even found a way to get the same effect but without using mirrors! Great elephant 🐘- I remember a 6 month old one at al Ain zoo.....he had his trunk in my pocket looking for treats. He was only waist high!

Sally

inkyfingy said...

Lovely stories about your time in India. Your inchies are fabulous, both of them. I was reading an article recently about the historical development of a part of Hobart that started out as an extremely low socio-economic area of the town. (Much more up-market these days!) Apparently an elephant was used to draw a cart around the town and they used it during a bad flood, to rescue folk from the slum area, in 1901. I do wonder about the poor cold beast, being brought so far south! Dx
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-16/elephant-pulls-a-cart-in-wapping-in-early-hobart/9315414

freebird7100 said...

My gosh your inchies are amazing! I am jealous that you got to go to India! Your story reminded me that when I was 9 I went to an amusement park and rode a camel and an elephant. I thought they were both so cool. But I was also 9 so there is that!

Margriet said...

Beautiful inchies! Must be very scary, falling off the back of an elephant!

Cathy said...

I love both your inchies! Very nicely done. I have always wanted to ride on an elephant so I am envious of your adventure. Of course, I probably would end up being terrified, but the thought of it excites me.

chrissie said...

Terrific ideas for these inches Wendy. Always love the way you use shrink plastic

Love Chrissie xx

JennyJ said...

I just love that you’ve done Indian embroidery I wouldn’t know where to start! It’s beautiful. And your elephant is gorgeous - shrink plastic? I thought you’d run out! But it is so very effective- still can’t believe you do two inchies a week and I can’t even do one!! Spent all last weekend sorting out the Christmas decorations I won’t be needing anymore! Anyway I’ve already sold them so more money to set up my new craft room when I move - just trying to pack it up but keep wanting to get some inchies prepared for working on and there’s just no time or space or opportunity. Anyway it will be like when I first started in 2013 a couple of months in and had to do catch up inchies! Will give you a ring soon - hope you’re well? Bs off to Guernsey on 13th Feb so could come and see you again like last time?! Lots of love Jenny x

Blog Archive